Sewage Cleanup and Decontamination Tips
Raw sewage and floodwaters contain bacteria and other microorganisms, which are extremely hazardous to human health. These can be transmitted by touching contaminated items or by tracking them into uncontaminated areas on shoes. Absorbent materials such as carpeting and drywall may not be restorable after direct contact with sewage-contaminated or flood-contaminated water. If your house is flooded with sewage-contaminated water, cleanup should begin as soon as possible to reduce the risk of exposure to sewage.
- Always wear rubber gloves and avoid skin contact with the water or with any wet materials. (It’s better to stay out of the area completely.)
- Wash your hands thoroughly and regularly to avoid infections.
- Keep children away from contaminated area! They are especially vulnerable.
- Do not track contaminated material into undamaged areas.
- Do not attempt to decontaminate surfaces with sprays and other over-the-counter germicidal products, which may not fully disinfect contaminated surfaces.
RESTORx DKI will provide the services listed below:
- We will dispose of all the food exposed to sewage waters including all bottled drinks and products in jars. The parts under the seal of jars and bottles cannot be adequately disinfected. All undamaged canned goods must be thoroughly washed and disinfected.
- We will dispose of all medicines, cosmetics and other personal care items that have been in contact with sewage waters.
- We will remove all furniture, loose rugs, etc. from the area. They should be professionally cleaned.
- We will remove all the wet and damp materials and get rid of soaked carpets, water-damaged mattresses, pillows and plush toys. It is not possible to clean these articles adequately. Dry-cleaning will only clean the surfaces.
- We will increase air circulation to reduce odors and mold growth by opening all windows and doors.